Fugenstone logo

Finding the Right Worktop

Today kitchens have become our central social spaces where households gather to eat, converse and socialise. Our worktops see constant use, serving as the surface for unloading groceries, spilling sauces and chopping vegetables. They are kitchen's workhorse, supporting all the activity that takes place for the entire family.

When it comes to selecting the right material for your worktops, we recommend making a list of all the needs you have. Consider the type of usage the worktops will need to withstand on a daily basis? When it comes to cooking – are you an avid chef constantly experimenting with new recipes or do you prefer simple meals that don’t create much of a mess? Aesthetic preferences will also play a big role in your decision-making: do want a worktop that will enhance the light in the space or are you after surfaces that will help to distract the eye from crumbs and spillages? Whilst engineered quartz, porcelain, and natural stone are all popular choices amongst homeowners, each material offers unique advantages, making the decision a matter of personal preference and lifestyle considerations.

Quartz worktops have become an increasingly popular choice for homeowners who desire an elegant and stylish look in their kitchens.

Not only do they offer a luxurious appearance, but they are also extremely durable and easy to maintain. The quartz material is known for its unmatched strength and resistance to stains and scratches, ensuring that your countertops will remain beautiful for years to come. 

With their timeless beauty and practical benefits, quartz worktops are an excellent investment that will increase the value and appeal of your home.

Engineered quartz is a man-made composite material composed from at least 90% raw quartz minerals and the remaining 10% is a mixture of resin and colouring pigments. Quartz is one of the hardest minerals found in nature, making these surfaces highly durable and low-maintenance. Engineered quartz slabs can come in a wide range of tones and styles, making these the best solution for a variety of different design schemes.

In terms of design, porcelain worktops offer a wide variety of colors and patterns, ranging from solid colors to marble-like veining. The engineered nature of porcelain allows for a consistent appearance across the entire surface, ensuring that the worktops look uniform and flawless. Additionally, because porcelain is man-made, it can be custom-designed to fit any shape or size, making it a versatile choice for any kitchen or bathroom renovation.

Although porcelain worktops are generally more expensive than other materials like laminate or tile, their durability and low maintenance make them a long-term investment that can last for decades. When considering the lifetime cost of a worktop, porcelain may offer a more cost-effective option in the long run.

Porcelain countertops are a type of ceramic tile that is fired at extremely high temperatures.
This process gives them their remarkable hardness, durability, and resistance to heat and stains.
Porcelain countertops are also very low-maintenance, requiring little more than occasional cleaning with a mild soap and water solution.

Selecting natural stone for your worktops involves a thoughtful journey, beginning with exploration of options like granite, marble, or quartzite. Each stone has its unique characteristics, considering factors such as durability and maintenance. Once you’ve made a choice on material type, get in touch with us and we will help you navigate this process. 

We always recommend visiting a stoneyard and handpick the specific slabs for your project. This approach allows you to scrutinize variations in color, veining, and patterns, ensuring they align with your design vision.
 

Natural stone requires periodic sealing and proper maintenance, you wil be given clear instructions from your stone fabricator on this aspect. Embrace the inherent variations in the stone as part of its charm, creating a worktop that not only enhances functionality but also adds a touch of timeless elegance to your renovated space.

Natural stone worktops, such as granite, marble, and slate, offer a luxurious and timeless look.
They are extremely durable and can withstand years of heavy use.
Natural stone worktops also add a touch of elegance and sophistication to any kitchen.

Receive the latest news

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Get notified about new articles